Author Topic: Still number 3 !  (Read 916 times)

Offline JC

• Administrator
  • JcWeather
    • JcWeather
Still number 3 !
« on: March 03, 2014, 07:55:56 AM »
We had 3.4 inches yesterday which puts us 2.7 inches short of moving us into the number two position for all time snowiest winters in Philly.

Looks like this years snow season will end with a WHIMPER of a storm for Philly area.
All the forecasters where sure this would be a 8-10 inch storm, then the dry air moved in, I had a feeling that might happen to squeeze the storm further south.

Extreme south Jersey still may get over 6", most of their storms all season have been very light, now it's their turn for the bigger storm.

I don't see any major snow storms in our future looking at the long range models, still some cold air towards the middle of March then we may finally see a warm up.

JC

Offline xyonist

• Private
  • JcWeather
Re: Still number 3 !
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 10:44:56 AM »
It certainly has been a pretty spectacular winter for those of us who love the snow.  I didn't think we could have a better season than '09-'10, but this one came pretty close.

Strange to watch the progression (regression, actually) of the storm totals on TV.  Friday night was doom and gloom (in their eyes anyway) with 12"+ pretty much across the board for the entire area.  Saturday afternoon, the mets started backpedaling with calls of 8"-10" for the city and surrounding region.  Saturday night, less than 24 hours before the start of the storm, saw further lowering of the totals with the magical "6-inch line" going straight through the city.  By Sunday morning, most stations were still calling for at least 4"-6" for the entire Delaware Valley.  TWC did lower their forecast totals to 1"-3" of snow overnight into Monday, but they were still calling for 6 hours+ if freezing rain prior to that.